Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Clone Wars: The Lost One

Andrew Leon and I are watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  Every Tuesday, we will be featuring an episode from the series which began in 2008.

Episode: "The Lost One"
Series: Star Wars: The Clone Wars
The Lost Missions (Season Six), Episode 10
Original Air Date: March 1, 2014
via Wookieepedia
Well, here we are: the last arc of the series.  No, I'm not counting the unfinished "Legacy" episodes.  I won't be reviewing those.  For starters, they are, as noted, unfinished.  Also, they're not on Netflix.  Some were released as story reels on the StarWars.com site but I feel I've gotten whatever it was I needed from The Clone Wars.  It might be interesting to explore the other stories sometime just as it might be interesting to explore more of the novels, comics, etc.  For now, though, it's time to move on.  So, this arc is it for me.

The Jedi renew an investigation of the disappearance of Sifo-Dyas, a Jedi Master believed dead ten years before.  Anakin and Obi-Wan are sent to Oba Diah where Sifo-Dyas's ship and lightsaber have been found.  As it turns out, he wasn't just any old Jedi.  He's the one who ordered the creation of the clone army, against the wishes of the Jedi High Council.  It's an interesting twist on the clones story and the Jedi's moral position in regards to it.  They didn't approve of the program at first but see it as a good idea in hindsight, having since benefited from it considerably.  Obi-Wan readily admits he believes they'd been wrong at the time.

No need to get too twisted up over it, though.  Turns out, it was all Dooku's fault.
via Wookieepedia
Before heading to Oba Diah himself, Yoda consults with Finis Valorum who had been Chancellor at the time of Sifo-Dyas's disappearance.  Valorum first appeared in The Phantom Menace, played by Terence Stamp.  George Lucas described the character to Stamp as being like (pre-impeachment trial) Bill Clinton: "a good man but he's beleaguered."

In The Clone Wars, Valorum is voiced by Ian Ruskin.  Ruskin has appeared in such films as Eragon and A Good Year and in such television shows as The X Files and Murder She Wrote.  Beyond his voice acting career, Ruskin has considerable stage credentials as both actor and writer.

Next week: "Voices."

10 comments:

  1. My oldest son has watched the unfinished shows and says there's some good stuff in them. I'm going to go ahead with them since I've been meaning to do that for a while, anyway, so you can decide if there's anything in them you feel like you need to see once I report on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my season six recap set for Thursday, the 21st.

      Delete
    2. Me, too! I also have a full series wrap set for Tuesday, 9/26.

      Delete
    3. Since I'm going on to the "unknown" episodes, I won't be doing anything like that right away.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting. Would be great to watch. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you have a strange new comment ..repeat repeat repeat

    ReplyDelete