Friday, January 6, 2017

Squid Mixes: French 75

We had the Mocks over for New Year's Eve for food, games and general merriment.  The French 75 was our featured cocktail for the evening:
It's mostly champagne with bits of gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup (my own homemade) and grenadine.  The drink, often made with Cognac rather than gin, dates from World War I when the kick was said to be equivalent to being shelled with the French 75mm field gun.  I wouldn't say it's nearly that potent but it was pleasant enough - pretty, too.

I got my recipe from American Bar by Charles Schumann.  Interestingly, the book also includes a French 76 that subs out the gin for vodka.  The gin doesn't bring much flavor to the party but it might make for an interesting side-by-side comparison sometime.

8 comments:

  1. It is pretty.
    We've been doing pina coladas this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun. I've never made a pina colada.

      Delete
  2. Now this sounds very nice.
    I love mixed drinks but can only have a very small sip.
    There was a restaurant in Laguna that was called French 75. Now I know why !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife likes knowing the origins of a drink's name. There's often an interesting story involved.

      Delete
  3. That does sound nice! I had a little Bailey's over ice to celebrate my New Year's Eve but was in bed well before the ball dropped, sad little person that I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make it to midnight this year. Most years I do.

      Love Bailey's. Haven't had it in years. It's great over vanilla ice cream.

      Delete